I hope this letter finds all of you well. Time seems to be flying by. I would like to share a quick update about some of the items we are working on and events we are sponsoring. More importantly, I wish everyone a peaceful and happy Thanksgiving!
A few items of interest…
- December 7th, 2022 we are holding a meeting and dinner at the SCEA office for all Cafeteria, Lunch and Teaching Assistants. A save the date went out and a registration form will be sent out 11/21. We look forward to meeting with each of you.
- January 19th, 2022 we are holding an XYZ’s of Retirement meeting, open to all members. This will be held at 4 PM in the Middle School Auditorium. A registration form will be sent out on January 5th, 2023.
- January date TBD- we will be holding a meeting for all secretaries/B&G. Information to follow early in January.
- We are looking to set up building meetings with Prudential Disability Insurance, after the new year. Please look for the email in January. There are special rates and programs for NEA members.
- We had something set up with California Casualty Insurance Company for January, however the rep we were working with is no longer with that company. We will reschedule later in the year. There are special rates and programs for NEA members.
- Pre- K through 6 NJEA sponsored Community PRIDE Breakfasts have returned, post COVID. I want to thank everyone that volunteered to help with, and attended the breakfasts. A shout out to John Evancho, our returning PRIDE Chairperson for a job well done.
- Preferred Substitutes- to clarify
- New rate 155.00 per day
- HS- able to teach the full day if needed, not mandatory, duty free full 49 plus passing time lunch period
- MS/IS- Guaranteed a lunch and a prep, paid an overage working during prep only
- PS- Follow the teacher’s daily schedule
- We are working with the nurses
- Representative on the negotiations team
- Sidebar the current per diem rate that has been paid for several years, into the contract
- Create a fair and equitable rate for overnight trips
- We are continuing to work with the Wade administration on creating a fair and equitable criteria about Club and Advisor stipends. Human Resources has created a spreadsheet of each club and advisor stipend, whether the position is filled or not, and the rate of pay. We are checking out the list for errors and the amount of money budgeted for stipends no longer in existence. We are hoping to start working on a systematic criteria for how stipend positions are paid, as well as how to begin the process of starting a new club and/or sport. The plan is to add money to some stipends during this reorganization process.
- We are working on a sidebar which will add the Bus Aide positions to the contract. The position is being paid at a rate of 5000.00 for a morning position and 5000.00 for the afternoon position. The idea is to add language to the contract, first offering the position to the Teaching Assistants who work with the students who need bus aide(s). Should the position(s) remain unfilled after offering it to the classroom TA’s, the position(s) should then be offered to any available member of the bargaining unit.
- The Executive Committee will be meeting with the superintendent in January to discuss the best manner in which to educate all members, and the community regarding the district’s proposed referendum.
Be well! Again, I wish all a Happy Thanksgiving!